Thursday, December 9, 2010

Holidays.

As Christmas is approaching we find our selfs forgetting what the true meaning of these Holidays really are. We get so caught up in the hustle & bustle of buying gifts, and decorating, ect. that we really do just forget what the day means. 

Back in High School on Christmas day night we had a house fire {I wont go into the details of this, so please don't ask}. That night as myself and my Mom were driving away from the house the last thing I remember seeing was the Christmas tree in the window, and smoke coming out all the other windows. Since then I've had a whole different perspective on Christmas. 

I don't really go all out on gifts anymore, or decorating, or really any of that. I've learned that it's the simple things in life that I am thankful for. A roof over my head, clothes on my back, and my family. 

This week my dear friend Brandi introduced me to buying a gift for a Angel for DSS {Social services} in Rapid City. I told her I'd love too! I got a paper a few days ago about a child, it had her name on it & that she was 22 months old. Today I went to target and had so much fun buying gifts for this little girl. It warmed my heart & soul knowing that I'd be putting a smile on that little girls face. I bought her some blocks, a sock monkey, and two long sleeved shirts. Then I stopped by & dropped it off at DSS. I walked out of their knowing the real meaning on Christmas. Helping others who have less than me. I could care less what I got for Christmas. I could get a single Christmas card and nothing else & be okay with it. But doing that for that little girl warmed my heart and my soul. 

So this Holiday season please don't forget to take a moment and look around you and see what you have to be thankful for. Remember that some have a lot less than you, and I. Don't forget to be thankful for the simple blessings in your own life.

Happy Holidays to All :]

1 comment:

  1. Those are all extremely true thoughts on the holidays; people are obsessed with the consumer side of it all. I'm not religious by any means, but besides being a religious holiday, people forget that it's a time about being together with those we care about.

    ReplyDelete